Ckm wz. 30 was the main heavy machine gun used by the Polish Army in 1939. Design, strongly inspired by American Browning M1917 HMG, was modified and improved since 1931, including such differences as greater calibre and improved sights. The machine gun was also equipped with a water-cooling system and advanced tripod mounting, allowing the crew to use Ckm wz. 30 for anti-aircraft fire. The machine gun was crewed by 3-man squad - machine gunner, loader and spotter, accompanied by 4 additional soldiers, providing support and ammunition. This weapon was also used in many Polish vehicles, such as 7TP or Vickers tanks. Cavalry used Ckm. wz. 30 mounted on horse-drawn carriages, called "taczanka to improve mobility.
Polish infantry forces equipped with those weapons played a vital role in defence efforts during September 1939, for example in the course of famous Battle of Wizna, known also as "Polish Termopylae". For over 3 days small Polish forces counting around 720 men and including machine gun formation, defended 9km long line of defence positions. Against them stood over 44 000 Germans, supported by 450 tanks and Luftwaffe. Poles hold their ground until the 10th of September, when became clear that further defence was impossible. Handful of Polish soldiers were taken prisoners, but Captain Raginis, the commanding officer of the Polish forces, took his own life to keep his oath to never surrender to the enemy.
Please note: Miniatures are supplied unpainted and some assembly will be required.
No customer comments for the moment.